[openstack-dev] [Nova] Configuration validation

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Mon Nov 18 17:40:13 UTC 2013

> To be fair, we test only the subset that is set via devstack on the
> stable side. That should be a common subset, but it is far from fully
> comprehensive. Nova has over 600 config variables, so additional tooling
> here would be goodness.

I'm surely not arguing against additional testing of config stuff, I'm
just saying I'm not sure there's an upgrade impact here. What we care
about across upgrades is that the conf stays legit. A set of offline
tests that look at the config shouldn't have anything useful to verify
or report, other than just "this thingy is now deprecated, beware!"

If we care about validating that reviewers didn't let some config
element be removed that wasn't already deprecated, that's something that
needs visibility into the two ends of the upgrade. I would think grenade
would be the place to do this since it has both hashes, and I definitely
think that could be instrumented easily. However, I don't think that has
much overlap with the config checker thing that was discussed at summit,
simply because it requires visibility into two trees.

--Dan