[openstack-dev] [Horizon] Use icon set instead of instance Action

Liz Blanchard lsurette at redhat.com
Mon Nov 18 16:44:39 UTC 2013

On Nov 15, 2013, at 10:04 AM, Garry Chen <garrychen at icloud.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Liz & Jirka, thanks for ur advise, I will make the design post on UX askbot next time, I'm just a newbie in Openstack.
>
> By the way, i do understand the column will get narrow if have more data to represent, will u think its good to let user define their own table display? Then can use a JS/CSS to control icon set or drop-down action menu?
>
> We did have users ask about the customized data table, coz not everything we wanna see is what customer want. Customization maybe a good point for Horizon.

Hi Gary,

I like the idea of allowing users to choose which columns they can see if a table. It would be great to talk to users and understand their needs around this a bit more. Which tables do they use that are too large? Which fields would they want to see always? Which would they remove?

Also, I think it would be great to talk to more users and maybe do some usability testing around the icons vs. drop down action menu. Again, it would be great to know why a user would want one or the other and which actions they take most frequently. This would help us design this selection method based on user needs.

Best,
Liz

> Kind regards
> Garry
>
>> On 2013年11月15日, at 下午10:47, Liz Blanchard <lsurette at redhat.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On Nov 15, 2013, at 6:41 AM, Garry Chen <garrychen at icloud.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> Would you consider to change the drop-down action list of a instances to some common button icon set?
>>>
>>> Some actions like “run, pause, restart, shutdown, terminate ”, even like "create Snapshot", can use button instead? which like the pic below:
>>>
>>> <Screen Shot 2013-11-15 at 4.09.08 PM.png>
>>>
>>> Think icon set may has better user experience.
>>
>> Hi Gary,
>>
>> I do like the idea of users being able to get to some of the more common actions a bit quicker. A few issues with this approach would be:
>>
>> 1) This could take up more room in the table. When we have tables that have a lot of columns, this design could get crowded.
>> 2) I've found it's hard to represent certain actions with an icon. I like the idea of having the common ones as icons and having a drop down for the others, although it might feel a bit inconsistent.
>>
>> As Jirka mentioned, it might be best to post the question up on the UX Askbot site and get other UX designer thoughts!
>>
>> Best,
>> Liz
>>

>>> Regards
>>> Garry