[openstack-dev] [Openstack][qa][Tempest][Network] Test for external connectivity

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Mon Nov 18 12:19:57 UTC 2013

Hi Yair,

I had in mind of doing something similar. I also registered a tempest
blueprint for it.
Basically I think we can assume test machines have access to the Internet,
but the devstack deployment might not be able to route packets from VMs to
the Internet.

Being able to ping the external network gateway, which by default is
172.24.4.225 is a valuable connectivity test IMHO (and that's your #1 item)
For items #2 and #3 I'm not sure of your intentions; precisely so far I'm
not sure if we're adding any coverage to Neutron. I assume you want to
check servers such as www.google.com are reachable, but the routing from
the external_gateway_ip to the final destination is beyond's Neutron
control. DNS resolution might be interesting, but however I think
resolution of external names is too beyond Neutron's control.

Two more things to consider on external network connectivity tests:
1) SNAT can be enabled or not. In this case we need a test that can tell us
the SRC IP of the host connecting to the public external gateway, because I
think that if SNAT kicks in, it should be an IP on the ext network,
otherwise it should be an IP on the internal network. In this case we can
use netcat to this aim, emulating a web server and use verbose output to
print the source IP
2) When the connection happens from a port associated with a floating IP it
is important that the SNAT happens with the floating IP address, and not
with the default SNAT address. This is actually a test which would have
avoided us a regression in the havana release cycle.

Regards,
Salvatore