[openstack-dev] [Oslo] Layering olso.messaging usage of config

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Mon Nov 18 10:05:20 UTC 2013

Hi Oslo developers,

It seems my latest patch¹ on oslo.messaging scared Mark, so I'll try to
discuss it a bit on this mailing list as it is more convenient.

I've created a blueprint² as requested by Mark. That seems necessary
since it will be spread on several patch.

Now to the core. oslo.messaging API mixes usage of parameters and
configuration file object. Such as you have to provide a configuration
object for basic API usage, even if you don't have a configuration
object.

It seems to me that having this separation of concerns in oslo.messaging
would be good idea. My plan is to move out the configuration object out
of the basic object, like I did in the first patch.

I don't plan to break the configuration handling or so, I just think it
should be handled in a separate, individually testable part of the code.

Ultimately, this would allow oslo.messaging to not be 'oslo' only, and
just being friendly with oslo.config and therefore OpenStack. A goal I
wish we'd had in more oslo library. :)

If you think this is a bad idea, well, feel free to mark the blueprint
as so and I'll drop the work.

¹  https://review.openstack.org/56068

²  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ceilometer/+spec/messaging-decouple-cfg

--
Julien Danjou
;; Free Software hacker ; independent consultant