[openstack-dev] [Ironic][Ceilometer] get IPMI data for ceilometer

Lu, Lianhao lianhao.lu at intel.com
Mon Nov 18 06:24:28 UTC 2013

Hi stackers,

During the summit session Expose hardware sensor (IPMI) data https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/icehouse-summit-ceilometer-hardware-sensors, it was proposed to deploy a ceilometer agent next to the ironic conductor to the get the ipmi data. Here I'd like to ask some questions to figure out what's the current missing pieces in ironic and ceilometer for that proposal.

1. Just double check, ironic won't provide API to get IPMI data, right?

2. If deploying a ceilometer agent next to the ironic conductor, how does the agent talk to the conductor? Through rpc?

3. Does the current ironic conductor have rpc_method to support getting generic ipmi data, i.e. let the rpc_method caller specifying arbitrary netfn/command to get any type of ipmi data?

4. I believe the ironic conductor uses some kind of node_id to associate the bmc with its credentials, right? If so, how can the ceilometer agent get those node_ids to ask the ironic conductor to poll the ipmi data? And how can the ceilometer agent extract meaningful information from that node_id to set those fields in the ceilometer Sample(e.g. recource_id, project_id, user_id, etc.) to identify which physical node the ipmi data is coming from?

Best Regards,
-Lianhao Lu