[openstack-dev] [Heat] rough draft of Heat autoscaling API

Steve Baker sbaker at redhat.com
Sun Nov 17 20:33:30 UTC 2013

On 11/15/2013 05:19 AM, Christopher Armstrong wrote:
> http://docs.heatautoscale.apiary.io/
>
> I've thrown together a rough sketch of the proposed API for
> autoscaling. It's written in API-Blueprint format (which is a simple
> subset of Markdown) and provides schemas for inputs and outputs using
> JSON-Schema. The source document is currently
> at https://github.com/radix/heat/raw/as-api-spike/autoscaling.apibp
>

> Things we still need to figure out:
>
> - how to scope projects/domains. put them in the URL? get them from
> the token?
> - how webhooks are done (though this shouldn't affect the API too
> much; they're basically just opaque)
>
> Please read and comment :)

Looking at the scaling policy I see

|    "change": {
      "type": "integer",
      "description": "a number that has an effect based on change_type."},
    "change_type": {
      "type": "string",
      "enum": ["change_in_capacity",
               "percentage_change_in_capacity",
               "exact_capacity"],
      "description": "describes the way that 'change' will apply to the active capacity of the scaling group"},||

There could be an issue with percentage_change_in_capacity whenever that
evaluates to needing to scale by between zero and one resources. I
thought that maybe the percentage_change_in_capacity option should be
dropped, but it might be enough to always round up any non-zero capacity
change.