[openstack-dev] Split of the openstack-dev list

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Sat Nov 16 17:45:46 UTC 2013

On 11/14/2013 02:25 PM, Mark Washenberger wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 5:19 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org
> <mailto:thierry at openstack.org>> wrote:
>
>     Thierry Carrez wrote:
>     > [...]
>     > That will not solve all issues. We should also collectively make sure
>     > that *usage questions are re-routed* to the openstack general
>     > mailing-list, where they belong. Too many people still answer
>     off-topic
>     > questions here on openstack-dev, which encourages people to be
>     off-topic
>     > in the future (traffic on the openstack general ML has been mostly
>     > stable, with only 868 posts in October). With those actions, I
>     hope that
>     > traffic on openstack-dev would drop back to the 1000-1500 range, which
>     > would be more manageable for everyone.
>
>     Other suggestion: we could stop posting meeting reminders to -dev (I
>     know, I'm guilty of it) and only post something if the meeting time
>     changes, or if the weekly meeting is canceled for whatever reason.
>

> It seems excessive, I agree. But if your meeting time bounces on a
> biweekly schedule to accommodate multiple timezones, I think its quite
> necessary.

And the fact that people forget the times are in UTC....

Honestly I'd be +1 for an openstack-meeting list where people posted
announces and minutes (should they wish). There are a subset of us that
would find that useful, and it would move the traffic off of -dev.

Honestly, I don't the QA meeting post to the main list because of
volume, but if we had a separate place for that, it would be cool.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net