[openstack-dev] Split of the openstack-dev list (summary so far)

Nick Chase nchase at mirantis.com
Sat Nov 16 16:01:51 UTC 2013

I am one of those horizontal people (working on docs and basically one of
the people responsible at my organization for keeping a handle on what's
going on) and I'm totally against a split.

Of COURSE we need to maintain the integrated/incubated/proposed spectrum.
Saying that we need to keep all traffic on one list isn't suggesting we do
away with that. But it IS a spectrum, and we should maintain that.
Splitting the list is definitely splitting the community and I agree that
it's a poison pill.

Integrating new projects into the community is just as important as
integrating them into the codebase.  Without one the other won't happen
nearly as effectively, and we do lose one of the strengths of the community
as a whole.

Part of this is psychology. Many of us are familiar with broken windows
theory[1] in terms of code.  For those of you who aren't, the idea is based
on an experiment where they left an expensive car in a crime-ridden
neighborhood and nothing happened to it -- until they broke a window.  In
coding it means you're less likely to kludge a patch to pristine code, but
once you do you are more likely to do it again.

Projects work hard to do things "the OpenStack way" because they feel from
the start that they are already part of OpenStack, even if they aren't
integrated.

It also leads to another side effect, which I'll leave to you to decide
whether it's good or bad.  We do have a culture of "there can be only
one".  Once a project is proposed in a space, that's it (mostly).  We
typically don't have multiple projects in that space.  That's bad because
it reduces innovation through competition, but it's good because we get
focused development from the finite number of developers we have available.
As I said, YMMV.

Look, Monty is right: a good threaded client solves a multitude of
problems.  Definitely try that for a week before you set your mind on a
decision.

TL; DR Splitting the list is splitting the community, and that will lead to
a decline in overall quality.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory