[openstack-dev] [Heat] Continue discussing multi-region orchestration

Keith Bray keith.bray at RACKSPACE.COM
Fri Nov 15 21:17:38 UTC 2013

The way I view 2 vs. 4 is that 2 is more complicated and you don't gain
any benefit of availability.  If, in 2, your global heat endpoint is down,
you can't update the whole stack.  You have to work around it by talking
to Heat (or the individual service endpoints) in the region that is still
alive.

4 is much simpler in that only one Heat instance is involved.  If Heat is
down, you still have just as bad/good workaround, which is you talk to
service endpoints in the region that is still available.  If you want to
use Heat in that region to do it, you can Adopt the resources into a Heat
stack in that region. I don't see how 2 is "Robust against failure of
whole region" because if the region on the left part of the picture in 2
goes down, you can't manage your global stack or any of the resources in
the left region that are part of that global stack.  All you could manage
is a subset of resources by manipulating the substack in the right region,
but you can do this in 4 as well using Adopt.  4 is a simpler starting use
case and easier (IMO) for a user of the system to digest, and has the HUGE
advantage of being able to orchestrate deploying resources to multiple
regions without a service operator having to have Heat setup and installed
in EVERY region.  This is particular important for a private cloud/heat
person trying to deploy to public cloud.. If doing so requires the public
cloud operator have Heat running, then you can't deploy there.  If no Heat
in that region is required, then you can use your own instance of Heat to
deploy to any available openstack cloud.  That is a HUGE benefit of 4.

-Keith