[openstack-dev] [Heat] Continue discussing multi-region orchestration

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Fri Nov 15 20:55:27 UTC 2013

On 11/15/2013 01:41 PM, Zane Bitter wrote:
> Good news, everyone! I have created the missing whiteboard diagram
> that we all needed at the design summit:
>
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/Blueprints/Multi_Region_Support_for_Heat/The_Missing_Diagram
>

> I've documented 5 possibilities. (1) is the current implementation,
> which we agree we want to get away from. I strongly favour (2) for the
> reasons listed. I don't think (3) has many friends. (4) seems to be
> popular despite the obvious availability problem and doubts that it is
> even feasible. Finally, I can save us all some time by simply stating
> that I will -2 on sight any attempt to implement (5).

1 status quo isn't terrible
2 +2 simple robust
3 -2 this means another daemon and seems overly complex
4 I don't think it will be possible to allow VM->heat communication for
things like signaling.  Without signaling, this is DOA
5 seems complex to implement and I don't see a clear path to get there
from where we are today

Out of the options, #2 looks like the best choice.

I would -2 option #3 if I saw it hit the review queue.

Regards
-steve