[openstack-dev] [nova] future fate of nova-network?

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Fri Nov 15 19:21:48 UTC 2013

On 11/15/2013 01:26 PM, Lorin Hochstein wrote:
> Was the fate of nova-network discussed at the icehouse summit?

Yes. [1][2]

> In particular, has there been a decision made about whether it will
> definitely be deprecated in some (as yet unspecified) future release, or
> whether it will continue to be supported for the foreseeable future?

We want to deprecate it.  There are some things blocking moving forward
with this.  In short:

1) Feature parity (primarily something that satisfies performance and HA
requirements addressed by nova-network in multi-host mode)

2) Testing and quality parity.  The status of Neutron testing in the
gate is far inferior to the testing done against nova-network.

I'm personally more worried about #2 than #1 at this point.

A major issue is that very few people actually stepped up and agreed to
help with #2 at the summit [2].  Only one person signed up to work on
tempest issues.  Nobody signed up to help with grenade.  If this doesn't
happen, nova-network can't be deprecated, IMO.

If significant progress isn't made ASAP this cycle, and ideally by
mid-cycle so we can change directions if necessary, then we'll have to
discuss what next step to take.  That may include un-freezing
nova-network so that various people holding on to enhancements to
nova-network can start submitting them back.  It's a last resort, but I
consider it on the table.

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/icehouse-neutron-nova-parity
[2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/icehouse-summit-qa-neutron

--