[openstack-dev] Split of the openstack-dev list (summary so far)

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Fri Nov 15 18:17:24 UTC 2013

Another thing that I remember from talking with people who work at yahoo
on the hadoop project and was an insight early on for me. I remember those
folks saying that about 2 hours of there day is spent on catching up on
mailing list emails and reviews. This is/was a change in how they operated
when they joined the hadoop (or related hadoop project) and my guess is
that this same change is happening to people in the openstack project (and
it does take some getting used to).

I also agree with the sentiment that clint has stated, where I honestly
agree that the 'chaos' is actually beneficial for a new project like
openstack (newish I guess). Without that 'chaos' I do agree that we would
not have as much innovation or cross-pollination among projects, which to
me means that we start going down a path of silos (which is bad, and
believe me at yahoo I know all about silos).

TLDR: opensource projects take some getting used to, especially with
regards to emails and reviews, but IMHO lets keep the chaos until
openstack is more mature (if that ever occurs?).