[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Neutron Tempest code sprint - 2nd week of January, Montreal, QC, Canada

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Fri Nov 15 18:13:18 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-11-15 at 12:47 -0500, Anita Kuno wrote:
> On 11/15/2013 12:34 PM, Russell Bryant wrote:
> >>>
> >> Are people really saying that if they show up for this Tempest sprint
> >> with a logo shirt they would actually take it off and wear a white shirt
> >> provided by someone, or that this will prevent them from going at all?
> >> I can't even believe we're having this conversation on the list, frankly.
> > I'm saying that I find it so ridiculous, that I wouldn't consider going
> > at all.
> >
> > I find the suggestion that I would be given a different shit to wear so
> > offensive, that I have to waste time having this conversation to condemn
> > it publicly.  I have a lot of pride in OpenStack, and don't want anyone
> > to think that everyone finds this sort of requirement acceptable in our
> > community.
> I respect this about you, Russell and it is one of the many reasons I am
> so glad to work with you.
>
> Had this level of pride in OpenStack been prevalent during the Neutron
> design summit sessions, it wouldn't even have occured to me to mention it.
>
> I hope to attract people with this level of pride in OpenStack to the
> code sprint and my thought was that eliminating logos would support that
> goal.
>
> What would you suggest to attract and foster this level of pride in
> OpenStack in the code sprint attendees?
>
> I will also note, that while you clearly stated the Neutron is being
> considered for deprecation - t-shirts prevail as an issue on this
> thread. I consider that rather interesting to observe.

I think you're expressing a similar sentiment to e.g. "there should be
more Neutron developers who work on core Neutron rather than just their
drivers". I'm cool with that, and totally agree.

Choosing to pick on people's choice of clothing is just a bizarre way of
expressing that concern, though.

Bear in mind how often I talk about this being a community of
individuals, we should all wear our "project hats", that our affiliation
should be secondary to our commitment to our project, ...

Dictating what people can wear to an OpenStack event is not my idea of
what OpenStack is all about. It's not my idea of the "mutual respect"
you talk about.

Mark.