[openstack-dev] [RFC] Straw man to start the incubation / graduation requirements discussion

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Fri Nov 15 17:57:29 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-11-13 at 06:57 -0500, Sean Dague wrote:
> (Apologies, this started on the TC list, and really should have started
> on -dev, correctly posting here now for open discussion)
>
> There were a few chats at summit about this, mostly on the infra /
> devstack / qa side of the house. Consider the following a straw man to
> explain the current state of the world, and what I'd like to see change here
> I call out projects by name here, not to
> make fun of them, but that I think concrete examples bring the point
> home much more than abstract arguments (at least for me).
>
> This is looking at raising the bar quite a bit along the way. However,
> as someone that spends a lot of time trying to keep the whole ball of
> wax holding together, and is spending a lot of time retroactively trying
> to get projects into our integrated gate (and huge pain to everyone, as
> their gate commits get bounced by racey projects), I think we really
> need to up this bar if we want a 20 integrated project version of
> OpenStack to hold together.

Thanks for doing this. The requirements look good to me.

I think it's about time we gathered all requirements together and
properly documented them so people realize there's a much bigger
picture. I've started pulling together some stuff here:

  https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/incubation-and-integration-requirements

but clearly there's a lot of work to do.

One thing I really, really want is for the rules to be accompanied with
a good explanation of what the rules are there to achieve. We cannot let
ourselves turn into a community that over-zealously applies rules to the
extent that the rules do more damage than good.

There's always got to be a judgement call involved. I'm happy that
Ceilometer graduated, even though it doesn't have gating tests. I think
it has been a positive addition and I'd rather have it without the
gating tests than not at all.

The guidelines like this will greatly encourage projects to up their
game and hopefully we'll rarely be faced with a generally awesome
project wanting to graduate but it not having integration tests.
However, if that did happen, we need it to at least be possible for us
to have a rational, big-picture conversation about whether some
rule-bending is the best thing overall for the project.

Mark.