[openstack-dev] [Nova] New API requirements, review of GCE

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Fri Nov 15 17:55:18 UTC 2013

On 11/15/2013 12:32 PM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>> If so, do we apply the same standards to the EC2 API?
>> How much time do we give EC2 to get up to this standard before we rip
>> it out?
>
> I hadn't understood the EC2 API to be in such a woeful state. Are we
> saying the implementation is so bad it's not at all useful for users? Or
> that a lack of testing means we see a far higher rather of regressions
> than in e.g. the OpenStack API? Or just that we don't see much progress
> on it?

I think the problem is that without the test coverage, we really have no
idea what state it's in.  At least that's my feeling.  I'd love to raise
the bar, but I think it should apply across the board.

Just like with compute drivers, the raised bar applies to existing
drivers, not just new ones.  We just gave a significant amount of
lead-time to reach it.

I'm actually quite optimistic about the future of EC2 in Nova.  There is
certainly interest.  I've followed up with Rohit who led the session at
the design summit and we should see a sub-team ramping up soon.  The
things we talked about the sub-team focusing on are in-line with moving
toward meeting this bar, anyway.

--
Russell Bryant