[openstack-dev] [Savanna] DiskBuilder / savanna-image-elements

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Fri Nov 15 17:14:55 UTC 2013

Excerpts from Erik Bergenholtz's message of 2013-11-15 08:20:36 -0800:
> Team -
>
> We’d like to move our disk creation mechanism over to using DiskBuilder so that users can build (and modify) their own VM images. We’d like to piggy back off of the existing mechanism that the vanilla plugin uses. It looks like I should be able to add image-elements to savanna-image-elements/elements directory for the HDP specific setup. Any concerns with this approach? From an organizational standpoint, it would make sense to separate elements from various plugins by creating a directory hierarchy under the elements directory; i.e. a directory for each plugin to keep them separated.

I don't know how exactly Savanna calls diskimage-builder, but it
would indeed make sense for there to be directories for each set of
concerns. One just needs to add each directory that should be searched
to ELEMENTS_PATH (colon separated).  This also makes it possible to
override an element by putting a directory earlier in ELEMENTS_PATH,
as the first found element for each name wins.