[openstack-dev] Split of the openstack-dev list (summary so far)

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Fri Nov 15 17:12:05 UTC 2013

On 11/15/2013 02:06 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Arguments in favor of splitting openstack-dev / stackforge-dev
> * People can easily filter out all non-openstack discussions
> * Traffic would drop by about 25%

I'm not so convinced about this figure, as others pointed out.

> * Removes confusion as to which projects are actually "in openstack"
>
> Arguments in favor of keeping it the same
> * Provides a cross-pollination forum where external projects can learn
> * More chaos creates more innovation

chaos creates just chaos in this context :) I don't buy Clint's rhetoric
applied to this case :)

Anyway, I've looked at my folder and it looks like 90% of the messages
to openstack-dev have topics in the subject line. Filtering on the
client side should be easy to do and I'd like to have a few volunteers
run an experiment over one week to see if filters can ease the pain.

I'd also like to get to an agreement that support requests sent to
openstack-dev should not be answered and instead should be redirected
gently to openstack at lists. and/or ask.openstack.org.

Maybe we can restart this conversation in a week and see how things are
going?

/stef