[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Neutron Tempest code sprint - 2nd week of January, Montreal, QC, Canada

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Fri Nov 15 16:16:40 UTC 2013

On 11/15/2013 11:01 AM, Kyle Mestery (kmestery) wrote:
> On Nov 15, 2013, at 9:36 AM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 11/13/2013 11:10 AM, Anita Kuno wrote:
>>> Neutron Tempest code sprint
>>>
>>> In the second week of January in Montreal, Quebec, Canadathere will be a
>>> Neutron Tempest code sprint to improve the status of Neutron tests in
>>> Tempest and to add new tests.
>> First off, I think anything regarding putting more effort into this is
>> great.  However, I *beg* the Neutron team not to wait until this week to
>> make significant progress.
Well I have an item on the Neutron team meeting for next week:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Network/Meetings#Neutron_Tempest_.28anteaya.29
I would enjoy having your presence there and hope you join in on the
discussion, Russell.

>> To be clear, IMO, this is already painfully late.  It's one of the
>> largest items blocking deprecation of nova-network and moving forward
>> with Neutron.  This spring is just a couple weeks before icehouse-2.
>> Come i2, mid-cycle, we're going to have make a call on whether or not
>> nova-network deprecation seems likely.  If not, we really can't wait
>> around and I will probably propose un-freezing nova-network.
Yes, the surprising thing for me is this is the feeling within the rest
of the OpenStack community and seems to be not acknowledged in anyway so
far in my journeys within Neutron. Thank you for stating this so
clearly, Russell. I hope people are able to hear you when you say it.

It was actually for this reason that I decided to do what I am doing, to
my best ability to do it. Others are prepared to deprecate Neutron now
and I needed to demonstrate to myself that I did everything I could to
address the situation before I voiced my opinion.

So we shall see what comes of it.

>>> The event will be vendor neutral. We will talk to each other based on
>>> who we are and our interests, not based on who signs our paycheque. If
>>> folks arrive with logoed shirts (I don't know which logos are work logos
>>> and which aren't, so I will request no logos please) I will issue you a
>>> white T-shirt to wear. We need to work collaboratively to effectlvely
>>> make progress during the code sprint.
>> I'm all for promoting a culture of individuals and vendor neutrality.
>> However, I think this requirement is bizarre and unnecessary.  From a
>> practical standpoint, many people (myself included) get a ton of shirts
>> at conferences, so a lot of my clothes have tech company logos.  If you
>> actually get people to show up to an event dedicated to working on
>> testing, who cares what shirt they have on?
Actually symbols are very important and carry subtle messages that the
unconcious part of the brain interprets but may not push to
conciousness.
http://uanews.org/story/ua-study-your-brain-sees-things-you-don-t

Logos are powerful for a reason, and when I talk to you, Russell, I
appreciate being able to look at you and hear you without a logo
creating interference with my communication with you.

>> "I will issue you a white T-shirt"?!  Are you serious?
Yes.

>>> Someone at the summit choose not to wear footwear at the event. If you
>>> want to come to the code sprint please plan on wearing appropriate
>>> footwear in the public areas at the code sprint. For two reasons:
>>> 1. It will be cold.
>>> 2. The event is meant to facilitate mutual respect between us to
>>> increase communication, both at the event and afterwards. I feel wearing
>>> appropriate footwear supports this goal.
>> It's Winter in Canada... I'd be quite surprised if someone went without
>> shoes.
I was surprised someone showed up in public areas at the summit without
them.

>> I love the idea, but this stuff is just a big turn-off.
That is a shame. It would be wonderful if you could attend. But you are
the only one who can decide and I respect your opinion.
> Huge +1 from me as well. The sprint and Tempest work is great, the
> clothing requirements are going to make people not take this seriously.
> I feel these were not necessary.
I wish that were so. I have witnessed nothing in my time in the Neutron
design summit sessions or in the IRC channel to indicate they aren't.

Funny this is such a big pain point.

Thanks for weighing in, I do hope to keep the conversation going.

Thanks,
Anita.