[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Neutron Tempest code sprint - 2nd week of January, Montreal, QC, Canada

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Fri Nov 15 15:36:43 UTC 2013

On 11/13/2013 11:10 AM, Anita Kuno wrote:
> Neutron Tempest code sprint
>
> In the second week of January in Montreal, Quebec, Canadathere will be a
> Neutron Tempest code sprint to improve the status of Neutron tests in
> Tempest and to add new tests.

First off, I think anything regarding putting more effort into this is
great.  However, I *beg* the Neutron team not to wait until this week to
make significant progress.

To be clear, IMO, this is already painfully late.  It's one of the
largest items blocking deprecation of nova-network and moving forward
with Neutron.  This spring is just a couple weeks before icehouse-2.
Come i2, mid-cycle, we're going to have make a call on whether or not
nova-network deprecation seems likely.  If not, we really can't wait
around and I will probably propose un-freezing nova-network.

> The event will be vendor neutral. We will talk to each other based on
> who we are and our interests, not based on who signs our paycheque. If
> folks arrive with logoed shirts (I don't know which logos are work logos
> and which aren't, so I will request no logos please) I will issue you a
> white T-shirt to wear. We need to work collaboratively to effectlvely
> make progress during the code sprint.

I'm all for promoting a culture of individuals and vendor neutrality.
However, I think this requirement is bizarre and unnecessary.  From a
practical standpoint, many people (myself included) get a ton of shirts
at conferences, so a lot of my clothes have tech company logos.  If you
actually get people to show up to an event dedicated to working on
testing, who cares what shirt they have on?

"I will issue you a white T-shirt"?!  Are you serious?

> Someone at the summit choose not to wear footwear at the event. If you
> want to come to the code sprint please plan on wearing appropriate
> footwear in the public areas at the code sprint. For two reasons:
> 1. It will be cold.
> 2. The event is meant to facilitate mutual respect between us to
> increase communication, both at the event and afterwards. I feel wearing
> appropriate footwear supports this goal.

It's Winter in Canada... I'd be quite surprised if someone went without
shoes.

I love the idea, but this stuff is just a big turn-off.

--
Russell Bryant