[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Blueprint -- Floating IP Auto Association

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Fri Nov 15 14:39:46 UTC 2013

On 14 November 2013 23:03, Steven Weston <steven-weston at live.com> wrote:

> Hi Salvatore,
>
> My Launchpad ID is steven-weston.  I do not know who those other Steven
> Westons are … if someone has created clones of me, I am going to be upset!
> Anyway, Here are my thoughts on the implementation approach.

I have now assigned the blueprint to you.

> Is there any reason why the two alternatives you listed should be
> considered mutually exclusive?

In line of principle they're not. But if we provide the facility in
Neutron, doing the orchestration from nova for the association would be, in
my opinion, just redundant.
Unless I am not understanding what you suggest.
So far I understand the goal is to pass a 'autoassociate_fip' flag (or
something similar) to POST /v2/port
the operation will create two resource: a floating IP and a port, with only
the port being returned (hence the side-effect).

> I think that in consideration of loosely coupled design, it would be best
> to make the attribute addition to the port in neutron and create the
> ability for nova to orchestrate the call as well.  I do not see a way to
> prevent modification of the REST API, and in the interest of fulfilling
> your concern of atomicity, the fact that an auto association was requested
> will need to be stored somewhere, in addition to the state of the request
> as well.

Storing the autoassociation could be achieved with a flag on the floating
IP data model. But would that also imply that the association for an
auto-associate floatingIP cannot be altered?

> Plus, tracking the attribute in neutron would allow the ability of other
> events to fire that would need to be performed in response to an auto
> associate request, such as split zone dns updates (for example).  The
> primary use case for this would be for request by nova, although I can
> think of other services which could use it as well -- load balancers,
> firewalls, vpn’s, and any component that would require connectivity to
> another network.  I think the default behavior of the auto association
> request would be to create ip addresses on the associated networks of the
> attached routers, unless a specific network is given.

Perhaps I need more info on this specific point; I think the current
floating_port_id - port_id might work to this aim; perhaps the reverse
mapping would be needed to, and we might work to add id - but I don't see
why we would need a 'auto_associate' flag. This is not a criticism. It's
just me being dumb perhaps!

To conclude I think it might be actually not bad at all to allow for
specifying a floating_ip_id when creating a port.
This way if we add the ability to auto create and associate a floating ip
on port create, this might partially solve the side effect problem as
you'll get the floating ip ID as well in the response.