[openstack-dev] [nova] Core pinning

Tapio Tallgren tapiotallgren at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 08:13:11 UTC 2013

Hi,

The use cases fro CPU pinning are exactly like discussed above: (1)
lowering guest scheduling latencies and (2) improving networking latencies
by pinning the SR-IOV IRQ's to specific cores. There is also a third use
case, (3) avoiding long latencies with spinlocks.

 wrote:

>> Similarly, once you start talking about doing SR-IOV networking I/O
>> passthrough into a guest (for SDN/NFV stuff) for optimum efficiency it
>> is beneficial to be able to steer interrupts on the physical host to the
>> specific cpus on which the guest will be running.  This implies some
>> form of pinning.

> Still, I think hypervisor should achieve this, instead of openstack.

How would this work? As a solution, this would be much better since then
OpenStack would have much less low-level work to do.

-Tapio