[openstack-dev] [Solum/Heat] Is Solum really necessary?

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Fri Nov 15 04:52:56 UTC 2013

On 11/14/2013 11:41 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> So while I have been on vacation, I've been thinking about Solum and
> Heat.
>
> And I have some lingering questions in my mind that make me question
> whether a new server project is actually necessary at all, and whether
> we really should just be targeting innovation and resources towards
> the Heat project.
>
> What exactly is Solum's API going to control that is not already
> represented in Heat's API and the HOT templating language? At this
> point, I'm really not sure, and I'm hoping that we can discuss this
> important topic before going any further with Solum. Right now, I see
> so much overlap that I'm questioning where the differences really are.
>
> Thoughts?
> -jay

Jay,

After some conversation with other heat-core folks, I am confident we
don't want to implement the API contained here:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Solum/API

Most importantly, it would complicate "how to use heat" which is a
question we are constantly answering upstream and down.  I personally
feel this would drive adopters away from Heat.  We want people to adopt
Heat, and one key way of achieving that goal is keeping it simple and
doing a bang-up job on orchestration (Do one thing, Do it well.).  The
linked API, while offering valuable use cases, is overkill for Heat's
core mission.

 From a technical perspective, Heat offers a good composable building
block which is the foundation of good engineering principles.  It makes
perfect sense for Solum to build out its implementation using Heat as an
orchestration layer, rather then jamming Solum use-cases into Heat.

Regards
-steve