[openstack-dev] [Heat] rough draft of Heat autoscaling API

Christopher Armstrong chris.armstrong at rackspace.com
Fri Nov 15 01:48:09 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 5:40 PM, Angus Salkeld <asalkeld at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 14/11/13 10:19 -0600, Christopher Armstrong wrote:
>
>> http://docs.heatautoscale.apiary.io/
>>
>> I've thrown together a rough sketch of the proposed API for autoscaling.
>> It's written in API-Blueprint format (which is a simple subset of
>> Markdown)
>> and provides schemas for inputs and outputs using JSON-Schema. The source
>> document is currently at
>> https://github.com/radix/heat/raw/as-api-spike/autoscaling.apibp
>>

>> Things we still need to figure out:
>>
>> - how to scope projects/domains. put them in the URL? get them from the
>> token?
>> - how webhooks are done (though this shouldn't affect the API too much;
>> they're basically just opaque)
>>
>> Please read and comment :)
>>

> Hi Chistopher
>
> In the group create object you have 'resources'.
> Can you explain what you expect in there? I thought we talked at
> summit about have a unit of scaling as a nested stack.
>
> The thinking here was:
> - this makes the new config stuff easier to scale (config get applied
>   per scaling stack)
> - you can potentially place notification resources in the scaling
>   stack (think marconi message resource - on-create it sends a
>   message)
> - no need for a launchconfig
> - you can place a LoadbalancerMember resource in the scaling stack
>   that triggers the loadbalancer to add/remove it from the lb.
>
> I guess what I am saying is I'd expect an api to a nested stack.

Well, what I'm thinking now is that instead of "resources" (a mapping of
resources), just have "resource", which can be the template definition for
a single resource. This would then allow the user to specify a Stack
resource if they want to provide multiple resources. How does that sound?

--
IRC: radix
Christopher Armstrong