[openstack-dev] [Nova] question about DB migration difficulty

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Thu Nov 14 22:20:40 UTC 2013

Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote on 11/13/2013 04:27:17 PM:
> This was actually discussed in the session as an example of how other
> projects handle these problems. Our concerns (IIRC) were that it would
> take even more patches to land, and each of those patches is quite
> hard to land in nova these days.

More patches than what?  I thought the concern was that there is no
solution, not a competition between two solutions.  Is there some simpler
solution to the delete column case in which each migration can be undone
after being partially applied?

> Additionally, it increases the
> complexity of our code a lot, because we have to handle databases in
> all possible states because of how our continuous deployment model
> works.

I'm not sure I understand this.  The approach I cited has code that always
works, and each rev of the code needs to co-exist with only the previous
rev and the following rev.

Thanks,
Mike