[openstack-dev] [Solum/Heat] Is Solum really necessary?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 18:41:22 UTC 2013

So while I have been on vacation, I've been thinking about Solum and Heat.

And I have some lingering questions in my mind that make me question
whether a new server project is actually necessary at all, and whether
we really should just be targeting innovation and resources towards the
Heat project.

What exactly is Solum's API going to control that is not already
represented in Heat's API and the HOT templating language? At this
point, I'm really not sure, and I'm hoping that we can discuss this
important topic before going any further with Solum. Right now, I see so
much overlap that I'm questioning where the differences really are.

Thoughts?
-jay