[openstack-dev] [heat][mistral] EventScheduler vs Mistral scheduling

Christopher Armstrong chris.armstrong at rackspace.com
Thu Nov 14 15:52:07 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 4:29 AM, Renat Akhmerov <rakhmerov at mirantis.com>wrote:

> As for EventScheduler proposal, I think it actually fits Mistral model
> very well. What described in EvenScheduler is basically the ability to
> configure webhooks to be called periodically or at a certain time. First of
> all, from the very beginning the concept of scheduling has been considered
> a very important capability of Mistral. And from Mistral perspective
> calling a webhook is just a workflow consisting of one task. In order to
> simplify consumption of the service we can implement API methods to work
> specifically with webhooks in a convenient way (without providing any
> workflow definitions using DSL etc.). I have already suggested before that
> we can provide API shortcuts for scheduling individual tasks rather than
> complex workflows so it has an adjacent meaning.
>
> I other words, I now tend to think it doesn’t make sense to have
> EventScheduler a standalone service.
>
> What do you think?

I agree that I don't think it makes sense to have a whole new project just
for EventScheduler. Mistral seems like a pretty good fit. Convenience APIs
similar to the EventScheduler API for just saying "run this webhook on this
schedule" would be nice, too, but I wouldn't raise a fuss if they didn't
exist and I had to actually define a trivial workflow.

--
IRC: radix
Christopher Armstrong