[openstack-dev] Alembic or SA Migrate (again)

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 15:19:21 UTC 2013

On 11/13/2013 05:31 AM, Roman Podoliaka wrote:
> 2) run tests on MySQL/PostgreSQL instead (we have a proof-of-concept
> implementation here [2])
>
> The latter approach has a few problems though:
> 1) even if tests are run in parallel and each test case is run within
> a single transaction with ROLLBACK in the end (read "fast cleanups"),
> running of the whole test suite on MySQL will take much longer (for
> PostgreSQL we can use fsync = off to speed up things a lot, though)

When I was developing on the Drizzle database system, we used the
excellent libeatmydata library from Stewart Smith to speed up testing.
Basically, libeatmydata redirects fsync() and friends to be a no-op,
speeding up SQL-based tests (on any platform) by 30-50%.

https://www.flamingspork.com/projects/libeatmydata/

I think we could fairly easily have eatmydata installed on the builders
that run the migration tests, and that would significantly improve test
runtimes and would have the benefit of working on many different
platforms without having to ensure the database system is configured in
any particular way...

Best,
-jay