[openstack-dev] Proposal to recognize indirect contributions to our code base

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Nov 14 09:32:19 UTC 2013

Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> On 11/13/2013 04:34 PM, Colin McNamara wrote:
>> Not to be contrarian, but 92% of the commits in Havana came from
>> non-individual contributions. The majority of those came from big name
>> companies (IBM, RedHat, etc).
>
> ow, that's harsh. Despite what US Supreme Court Judges may think,
> Companies are not people: in the contest of this discussion (and for the
> purpose of reporting on development activity) companies don't *do*
> anything besides pay salaries of people. Red Hat, IBM, Rackspace, HP,
> etc happen to pay the salaries of hundreds of skilled developers. That's
> it.

Furthermore, a ever-growing number of those developers actually work for
the OpenStack project itself, with companies sponsoring them to do that
much-needed work. Those companies have a vested interest in seeing
OpenStack succeed so they pay a number of individuals to do their magic
and make it happen. A lot of those individuals also end up switching
sponsors while keeping their "position" within the OpenStack project.
That's a very sane setup where everyone wins.

So the fact that, according to your stats, 8% of people working on
OpenStack are apparently unemployed (and I suspect the real number is
much lower) doesn't mean only 8% of contributions come from individuals.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)