[openstack-dev] libvirt_type Doc Bug

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Nov 14 06:40:05 UTC 2013

Seems super confusing to me : this is a technical accuracy (qemu and
kvm use the same codepath in libvirt for conf and spawn etc) trumping
user interface (qemu and kvm are very very different in terms of
performance and many capabilities (e.g. > 2GB ram in an instance)..

-Rob

On 14 November 2013 18:58, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay
> <sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Lana Brindley
>> <openstack at lanabrindley.com> wrote:
>>> It looks as though it was decided that no code changes were required, but a
>>> doc update was. However, I'm struggling to work out what the user impact is
>>> here. On the surface it seems as though it's saying that QEMU will always be
>>> returned as the hypervisor type, and I'm not sure that's something we should
>>> be telling users in so many words (it's not a bug, it's a feature?)
>>
>> As per <https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1195361/comments/4>
>> if, "kvm" is not a valid value, then it is appropriate to mention that
>> qemu is the only valid value available for hypervisor_type
>
> Isn't this kind of confusing for users though? My admin told me the
> cluster was kvm, but when I ask nova I get qemu?
>
> Michael
>
> --
> Rackspace Australia

Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>