[openstack-dev] [Solum] Command Line Interface for Solum

Noorul Islam K M noorul at noorul.com
Thu Nov 14 03:43:58 UTC 2013

Doug Hellmann <doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Noorul Islam K M <noorul at noorul.com>wrote:
>

>> Hello all,
>>
>> I registered a new blueprint [1] for command line client interface for
>> Solum. We need to decide whether we should have a separate repository
>> for this or go with new unified CLI framework [2]. Since Solum is not
>> part of OpenStack I think it is not the right time to go with the
>> unified CLI.
>>

> One of the key features of the cliff framework used for the unified command
> line app is that the subcommands can be installed independently of the main
> program. So you can write plugins that work with the openstack client, but
> put them in the solum client library package (and source repository). That
> would let you, for example:
>
>   $ pip install python-solumclient
>   $ pip install python-openstackclient
>   $ openstack solum make me a paas
>
> Dean has done a lot of work to design a consistent "noun-followed-by-verb"
> command structure, so please look at that work when picking subcommand
> names (for example, you shouldn't use solum as a prefix as I did in my
> example above, since we are removing the project names from the commands).

I think we should follow this. If others have no objection, I will
submit a review to openstack-infra/config to create a new repository
named python-solumclient with intial code from cookiecutter template.

Adrian,

Does this blue-print require to be in Approved state to perform
above task?

Thanks and Regards
Noorul