[openstack-dev] [ALL] Removing generate_uuid() from uuidutils

Eric Windisch eric at cloudscaling.com
Wed Nov 13 21:20:53 UTC 2013

>> Each project should directly use the standard uuid module or implement its
>> own helper function to generate uuids if this patch gets in.
>>
>> Any thoughts on this change? Thanks.
>

> Unfortunately it looks like that change went through before I caught up on
> email. Shouldn't we have removed its use in the downstream projects (at
> least integrated projects) before removing it from Oslo?

I don't think it is a problem to remove the code in oslo first, as
long as no other oslo-incubator code uses it. Projects don't have to
sync the code and could always revert should that they do.

However, like Mark, I'm inclined to consider the value of
is_uuid_like. While undoubtedly useful, is one method sufficient to
warrant creating a new top-level module. Waiting for it to hit the
standard library will take quite a long time...

There are other components of oslo that are terse and questionable as
standalone libraries. For these, it might make sense to aggressively
consider rolling some modules together?

One clear example would be log.py and log_handler.py, another would be
periodic_task.py and loopingcall.py

--
Regards,
Eric Windisch