[openstack-dev] [ALL] Removing generate_uuid() from uuidutils

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Wed Nov 13 17:39:12 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 9:02 AM, Julien Danjou <julien at danjou.info> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 13 2013, John Griffith wrote:
>
>> Trivial or not, people use it and frankly I don't see any value at all
>> in removing it.  As far as the "some projects want a different format
>> of UUID" that doesn't make a lot of sense to me but if that's what
>> somebody wants they should write their own method.  I strongly agree
>> with others with respect to the comments around code-churn.  I see
>> little value in this.
>
> The thing is that code in oslo-incubator is supposed to be graduated to
> standalone Python library.
>
> We see little value in a library providing a library for a helper doing
> str(uuid.uuid4()).

Well I see your point, probably should've never been there in the
first place :)  Although I suppose it is good to have some form of
standarization for something no matter how trivial.  Anyway, my
opinion is it seems like unnecessary churn but I do see your point.  I
can modify it in Cinder easy enough and won't complain (too much
more), but I'm also wondering how many *other* things might fall in to
this category.