[openstack-dev] [Heat] HOT software configuration refined after design summit discussions

Thomas Spatzier thomas.spatzier at de.ibm.com
Wed Nov 13 17:29:21 UTC 2013

Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com> wrote on 13.11.2013 18:11:18:
> From: Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com>
> To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org,
> Date: 13.11.2013 18:14
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Heat] HOT software configuration
> refined after design summit discussions
>
> On 11/11/13 17:57, Thomas Spatzier wrote:
<snip>

> > https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/Blueprints/hot-software-config-WIP
> >
> > Please review and provide feedback.
>
> I believe there's an error in the Explicit dependency section, where it
> says that depends_on is a property. In cfn DependsOn actually exists at
> the same level as Type, Properties, &c.
>
> resources:
>    client:
>      type: My::Software::SomeClient
>      properties:
>        server: { get_resource: my_server }
>        params:
>          # params ...
>      depends_on:
>        - get_resource: server_process1
>        - get_resource: server_process2

Good point. I think the reason was tied too much to the provider template
concept where all properties get passed automatically to the provider
template and in there you can basically do anything that is necessary,
including hanlding dependencies. But I was missing the fact that this is a
generic concept for all resources.
I'll fix it in the wiki.

> And conceptually this seems correct, because it applies to any kind of
> resource, whereas properties are defined per-resource-type.
>
> Don't be fooled by our implementation:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/44733/
>
> It also doesn't support a list, but I think we can and should fix that
> in HOT.

Doesn't DependsOn already support lists? I quickly checked the code and it
seems it does:
https://github.com/openstack/heat/blob/master/heat/engine/resource.py#L288