[openstack-dev] [Heat] HOT software configuration refined after design summit discussions

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Wed Nov 13 17:02:23 UTC 2013

On 13/11/13 01:34, Clint Byrum wrote:
> Excerpts from Angus Salkeld's message of 2013-11-12 15:22:44 -0800:
>> >IMO is should just be a template/formatted file.
>> >
> I'd prefer that we have the ability to pull in a chunk of in-line template
> as well. Perhaps that is the template resource, I have not thought that
> through. It is not o-k, IMO, to push things off entirely to external
> files/urls/"providers", etc. That is just cumbersome and unnecessary for
> a common case which is to deploy two things using the same base config
> with parameters having different values.
>
> Of course, for my use case of having different topologies reusing bits
> of config, it is perfect to have the reusable bits split into different
> files.

So, if I understand Angus's get_file suggestion correctly, it parses out
to the equivalent of inlining the file's contents. So if you implement
the resource as accepting inline data and add in get_file, then you get:
   a) Composability, OR
   b) Everything in one file

but not both. I think that is probably sufficient, but I would be
interested in your opinion: is it essential that you be able to compose
software components defined in the same file?

Note that the implementation of get_file would also involve
python-heatclient automagically detecting it and making sure the
relevant file is uploaded in the files section. So this shouldn't create
a lot of mental overhead for the user.

(BTW I think I like this plan.)

cheers,
Zane.