[openstack-dev] [RFC] Straw man to start the incubation / graduation requirements discussion

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Nov 13 12:49:07 UTC 2013

Sean Dague wrote:
> [...] Proposed Incubation requirements
> ================================ Once something becomes an
> integrated project, it's important that they are able to run in the
> gate.
>
> Both devstack and devstack-gate now support hooks, so with a couple
> of days of work any project in stackforge could build a gate job
> which sets up a devstack of their configuration, including their
> code, running some project specific test they feel is appropriate
> to ensure they could run in the gate environment.
>
> This would ensure an incubated project works with OpenStack global
> requirements, or if it requires something new, that's known very
> clearly before incubation.

That makes sense, my only concern with it is, how much support from
QA/Infra would actually be needed *before* incubation can even be
requested. One of the ideas behind the incubation status is to allow
incubated projects to tap into common resources (QA, infra, release
management...) as they cover the necessary ground before being fully
integrated. Your proposal sounds like they would also need some
support even before being incubated.

Also does it place a requirement that all projects wanting to request
incubation to be placed in stackforge ? That sounds like a harsh
requirement if we were to reject them.

(sidenote: I'm planning to suggest we create an "emerging technology"
label for projects that are (1) in stackforge, (2) applied for
incubation but got rejected purely for community maturity reasons.
Projects under this label would potentially get some limited space at
summits to gain more visibility. Designate belongs to that category,
but without a clear label it seems to fall in the vast bucket of
openstack-related projects and not gaining more traction. Not sure we
can leverage it to solve the issue here though).

> Proposed Graduation requirements ================================
> All integrated projects should be in the integrated gate, as this
> is the only way we provably know that they can all work together,
> at the same level of requirements, in a consistent way.
>
> During incubation landing appropriate tests in Tempest is fair
> game. So the expectation would be that once a project is incubated
> they would be able to land tests in tempest. Before integrated
> we'd need to ensure the project had tests which could take part in
> the integrated gate, so as soon as a project is voted integrated,
> it has some working integrated gate tests. (Note: there is actually
> a symmetric complexity here, to be worked out later).

+1 -- I think we already made that decision for any future graduation.

> Proposed Stable Release requirements
> ==================================== We have this automatic
> transition that happens when a project that's integrated for a
> release, actually releases as part of that. I.e. Trove and
> Icehouse. There is no additional TC decision about whether or not
> Trove is part of the stable release, once integrated, it just is.
> Nothing that it does over that cycle will kick it out of the stable
> release. This is one of the reasons it needs to be in the
> integrated gate **before** graduation.
>
> Additionally, upgrade path is critically important to our users,
> and the number one piece of feedback we received from the User
> Survey. It was also important enough to our developers that it was
> scattered all over the Icehouse Design Summit. All integrated
> projects should be included in upgrade testing the moment they are
> in a stable release. (ex: when Icehouse is released, Trove should
> be in master grenade, and upgrade testing from Icehouse -> master
> for the J cycle from day one).

I agree with you, but I don't see how we can enforce this one. Like
you say, integrated projects get commonly released and get a stable
branch in all cases. We can strongly encourage them to get their
grenade act together before the final release, but there is nothing we
can do (short of kicking them out of the integrated release
altogether) to ensure it happens.

> [...] Raised Questions ================ - what about existing
> incubated projects, what would be their time frame to get with this
> new program - what about existing integrated projects that
> currently don't exist with either an upgrade or gate story? - what
> about an upgrade deprecation path (i.e. nova-network => neutron,
> nova-baremetal => ironic)

The transition for existing incubated/integrated projects is an
interesting question. I think it's fine to require that
currently-incubated projects get into the integrated gate before they
can graduate. For currently-integrated projects that are not up to
snuff, I think we should strongly suggest that they fix it before the
icehouse release, otherwise the next TC might be driven to make
unpleasant decisions.

- --
Thierry Carrez (ttx)