[openstack-dev] disable/enable services and agent tests

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Nov 13 12:18:44 UTC 2013

On 11/12/2013 10:25 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
> We shouldn't really be changing the config of the cloud we're testing
> - that stops us being run against actual prod clouds.
>
> Instead we should have some set of profiles we test against - and then
> run different jobs for different profiles, avoiding the problem
> entirely.

The issue here is we've got an API that's exposed to the admin to do
this, which means for some folks, it would be nice to test this
functionality is working. Per our community mantra "If it's not tested,
it's assumed broken." -
https://twitter.com/russellbryant/status/396889282155008000

That being said, in this case in particular, we should probably be more
careful about disabling our only nova-compute during the tests, because,
you know, that might be bad. Today the calls happen so quickly, I think
we've just avoided the race entirely (the enable_disable test has been
in the gate since H2). I've honestly never seen a race that we can track
down to this in the gate.

For now, I'd agree that enable_disable should probably be removed from a
normal tempest run. I think we've started to find that we have a class
of APIs that impact our runtime in a dramatic enough way, that we need
to be really careful about how we tickle them. I'd be interested in
ideas about how we do that. Remember we also have locking in our bag of
tricks, which is what we need to do around all the aggregate tests, as
those are admin tests on global state.

	-Sean