[openstack-dev] [Heat] HOT software configuration refined after design summit discussions

Thomas Spatzier thomas.spatzier at de.ibm.com
Wed Nov 13 08:28:59 UTC 2013

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/Blueprints/hot-software-config-WIP

> >> Please review and provide feedback.
> >
> >Hi Thomas, thanks for spelling this out clearly.
> >
> >I am still -1 on anything that specifies the place a configuration is
> >hosted inside the configuration definition itself. Because
configurations
> >are encapsulated by servers, it makes more sense to me that the servers
> >(or server groups) would specify their configurations. If changing to a
> >more logical model is just too hard for TOSCA to adapt to, then I
suggest
> >this be an area that TOSCA differs from Heat. We don't need two models
> >for communicating configurations to servers, and I'd prefer Heat stay
> >focused on making HOT template authors' and users' lives better.
> >
> >I have seen an alternative approach which separates a configuration
> >definition from a configuration deployer. This at least makes it clear
> >that the configuration is a part of a server. In pseudo-HOT:
> >
> >resources:
> >  WebConfig:
> >    type: OS::Heat::ChefCookbook
> >    properties:
> >      cookbook_url: https://some.test/foo
> >      parameters:
> >        endpoint_host:
> >          type: string
> >  WebServer:
> >    type: OS::Nova::Server
> >    properties:
> >      image: webserver
> >      flavor: 100
> >  DeployWebConfig:
> >    type: OS::Heat::ConfigDeployer
> >    properties:
> >      configuration: {get_resource: WebConfig}
> >      on_server: {get_resource: WebServer}
> >      parameters:
> >        endpoint_host: {get_attribute: [ WebServer, first_ip]}
>

> This is what Thomas defined, with one optimisation.
> - The webconfig is a yaml template.
>
> As you say the component is static - if so why even put it inline in
> the template (well that was my thinking, it seems like a template not
> really a resource).

Yes, exactly. Our idea was to put it in its own file since it is really
static and having it in its own file makes it much more reusable.
With 'WebConfig' defined inline in the template as in the snippet above,
you will have to update many template files where you use the component,
whereas you will only have to touch one place when it is in its own file.
Ok, the example above looks simple, but in reality we will see more complex
sets of parameters etc.
Maybe for very simple use cases, we can allow a shortcut of inlining it in
the template (I mentioned this in the wiki) and avoid the need for a
separate file.