[openstack-dev] [Nova] Configuration validation

Oleg Gelbukh ogelbukh at mirantis.com
Tue Nov 12 21:12:55 UTC 2013

Gary, Nikola,

The diagnostics service being developed by our labs could be of interest
for you [1]

The first use case we're working on is exactly what you suggest: validation
of configuration parameters across services before running them [2]

We now use a mix of approaches:
1. introduce extended config parameters typization and validate values
against those extended types (e.g. 'ip address' or 'port range')
2. validate cross-service configurations for consistency with scripted
inspections
3. validate parameter values using production rules

We will consider contributing code that implements those approaches to
projects where they suit most (e.g. extending parameters types and
correspoding validations in oslo.config, like Mark proposed in this
thread). But we would like to stick to the idea of tool that could function
independently to validate configurations and architecture for cloud
operators.

[1] https://github.com/MirantisLabs/rubick/
[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Rubick/OpenStack_Integration