[openstack-dev] Improvement of Cinder API wrt https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1213953

Caitlin Bestler caitlin.bestler at nexenta.com
Tue Nov 12 17:25:54 UTC 2013

On 11/12/2013 8:09 AM, John Griffith wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Solly Ross <sross at redhat.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to get some sort of consensus on this before I start working on it.  Now that people are back from Summit, what would you propose?
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Solly Ross

Complexity is not an issue. Bandwidth and latency are issues.

Any solution that achieves the user objectives can be managed by a
taskflow. It will be simple for the user to apply. The amount of code
involved is relatively low on the factors to compare. Taking extra time
and consuming extra bandwidth that were not required are serious issues.

My assumption is that the cinder backend will be able to employ
copy-on-write when cloning volumes to at least make a thinly provisioned
version available almost instantly (even if the full space is allocated
and then copied asynchronously. Permanently thin clones just require
that the relationship be tracked. Currently that is up to the volume
driver, but we could always make these relationships legitimate by
recognizing them in Cinder proper).

The goal here is not to require new behaviors of backends, but to enable
solutions that already exist to be deployed to the benefit of end users.
Requiring synchronoous multi-GB copies (locally or even worse over the
network) is not a minor price that we should expect customers to endure
for the sake of software uniformity.