[openstack-dev] [nova] [heat] Custom Flavor creation through Heat

Kodam, Vijayakumar (EXT-Tata Consultancy Ser - FI/Espoo) vijayakumar.kodam.ext at nsn.com
Tue Nov 12 17:25:19 UTC 2013

Hi,

In Telecom Cloud applications, the requirements for every application are different. One application might need 10 CPUs, 10GB RAM and no disk. Another application might need 1 CPU, 512MB RAM and 100GB Disk. This varied requirements directly affects the flavors which need to be created for different applications (virtual instances). Customer has his own custom requirements for CPU, RAM and other hardware requirements. So, based on the requests from the customers, we believe that the flavor creation should be done along with the instance creation, just before the instance is created. Most of the flavors will be specific to that application and therefore will not be suitable by other instances.

The obvious way is to allow users to create flavors and boot customized instances through Heat. As of now, users can launch instances through heat along with predefined nova flavors only. We have made some changes in our setup and tested it. This change allows creation of customized nova flavors using heat templates. We are also using extra-specs in the flavors for use in our private cloud deployment.
This gives an option to the user to mention custom requirements for the flavor in the heat template directly along with the instance details. There is one problem in the nova flavor creation using heat templates. Admin privileges are required to create nova flavors. There should be a way to allow a normal user to create flavors.

Your comments and suggestions are most welcome on how to handle this problem !!!

Regards,
Vijaykumar Kodam