[openstack-dev] sqlalchemy-migrate needs a new release

Roman Podoliaka rpodolyaka at mirantis.com
Tue Nov 12 07:50:39 UTC 2013

Hey David,

Thank you for undertaking this task!

I agree, that merging of DB2 support can be postponed for now, even if
it looks totally harmless (though I see no way to test it, as we don't
have DB2 instances running on Infra test nodes).


On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Davanum Srinivas <davanum at gmail.com> wrote:
> @dripton, @Roman Many thanks :)
> On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 3:35 PM, David Ripton <dripton at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 11/11/2013 11:37 AM, Roman Podoliaka wrote:
>>> As you may know, in our global requirements list [1] we are currently
>>> depending on SQLAlchemy 0.7.x versions (which is 'old stable' branch
>>> and will be deprecated soon). This is mostly due to the fact, that the
>>> latest release of sqlalchemy-migrate from PyPi doesn't support
>>> SQLAlchemy 0.8.x+.
>>> At the same time, distros have been providing patches for fixing this
>>> incompatibility for a long time now. Moreover, those patches have been
>>> merged to sqlalchemy-migrate master too.
>>> As we are now maintaining sqlalchemy-migrate, we could make a new
>>> release of it. This would allow us to bump the version of SQLAlchemy
>>> release we are depending on (as soon as we fix all the bugs we have)
>>> and let distros maintainers stop carrying their own patches.
>>> This has been discussed at the design summit [2], so we just basically
>>> need a volunteer from [3] Gerrit ACL group to make a new release.
>>> Is sqlalchemy-migrate stable enough to make a new release? I think,
>>> yes. The commits we've merged since we adopted this library, only fix
>>> a few issues with SQLAlchemy 0.8.x compatibility and enable running of
>>> tests (we are currently testing all new changes on py26/py27,
>>> SQLAlchemy 0.7.x/0.8.x, SQLite/MySQL/PostgreSQL).
>>> Who wants to help? :)
>>> Thanks,
>>> Roman
>>> [1]
>>> https://github.com/openstack/requirements/blob/master/global-requirements.txt
>>> [2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/icehouse-oslo-db-migrations
>>> [3] https://review.openstack.org/#/admin/groups/186,members
>> I'll volunteer to do this release.  I'll wait 24 hours from the timestamp of
>> this email for input first.  So, if anyone has opinions about the timing of
>> this release, please speak up.
>> (In particular, I'd like to do a release *before* Matt Riedermann's DB2
>> support patch https://review.openstack.org/#/c/55572/ lands, just in case it
>> breaks anything.  Of course we could do another release shortly after it
>> gets in, to make folks who use DB2 happy.)
>> --
>> David Ripton   Red Hat   dripton at redhat.com
>> _______________________________________________
>> OpenStack-dev mailing list
>> OpenStack-dev at lists.openstack.org
>> http://lists.openstack.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstack-dev
> --
> Davanum Srinivas :: http://davanum.wordpress.com
> _______________________________________________
> OpenStack-dev mailing list
> OpenStack-dev at lists.openstack.org
> http://lists.openstack.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstack-dev

More information about the OpenStack-dev mailing list