[openstack-dev] [openstack-tc] Proposal to recognize indirect contributions to our code base

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Nov 11 23:56:04 UTC 2013

On 11/11/2013 06:47 PM, John Griffith wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Daniel P. Berrange
<snip>
>> IMHO, lets call this what it is: "marketing".
>>
>> I'm fine with the idea of a company wanting to have recognition for work
>> that they fund. They can achieve this by putting out a press release or
>> writing a blog post saying that they "funded awesome feature XYZ to bring
>> benefits ABC to the project" on their own websites, or any number of other
>> marketing approaches. Most / many companies and individuals contributing
>> to OpenStack in fact already do this very frequently which is fine / great.
>>
>> I don't think we need to, nor should we, add anything to our code commits,
>> review / development workflow / toolchain to support such marketing pitches.
>> The identities recorded in git commits / gerrit reviewes / blueprints etc
>> should exclusively focus on technical authorship, not sponsorship. Leave
>> the marketing pitches for elsewhere.
>
> +1000

Agreed. When a bunch of us were at LinuxCon a number of us attended a
session that described another project with lots of sub projects. The
language they used was:

Project A, being done by Vendor A
Project B, being done by Vendor C
Project C, being done by Vendor A

Mark McClain and I were walking out after words and remarked "that was
weird, in OpenStack we'd talk about people, not vendors".

I really don't want to see us go away from that, I see that as a core
strength of our community. If entities are very concerned that their
name comes with their contribution, get the contributor to land patches
with an email address from the org in question. Anything beyond that
seems to be abusing the commit history, and it's going to be a slippery
slope.

    -Sean

--
Sean Dague