[openstack-dev] [qa] Policy on spelling and grammar

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 23:06:25 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 6:24 AM, Ben Nemec <openstack at nemebean.com> wrote:

> On 2013-11-11 13:28, Tim Bell wrote:
>
>> As a speaker of the Queen's English, I find flavor to be incorrect.
>> Does that mean I can -1 any patch that does not use flavour ?
>>
>> At CERN, we are working with 130 countries in a single community. The
>> value of the contribution of non-english speakers far exceeds the
>> occasional misunderstandings.
>>
>> Giving grammar/spellings -1 excludes major sections of the community
>> from contribution.
>>
>> As our aim is meritocracy (in python, computer architecture and design
>> rather than spelling), I'd propose
>>
>> - If someone identifies a need for clarification/correction as part of
>> a review, they also submit the replacement text rather than just -1.
>> - The submitter incorporates that change into a patch
>>

> Agreed.  Whenever possible, a grammar/spelling -1 should include proposed
> alternatives (I say whenever possible because I've -1'd a few changes where
> the docstrings were incomprehensible to me, so I couldn't provide a better
> alternative as I wasn't sure what they were trying to say :-).

I'm much more likely to -1 spelling/grammar issues in the code base than in
a commit message. For both cases I agree its important to provide exactly
what you want because for a non native english speaker is likely to come up
with many variants which aren't right even if it seems obvious to a native
english speaker and there is no easy way for them to check it before
resubmitting.

For commit messages I've been more lenient on new contributors and
changesets that have already gone through very many iterations as long as
it is reasonably understandable by a native english speaker, though as
someone else has mentioned in this thread perhaps we do need to consider
how confusing it might be for non english speakers.

I don't think we should be -1'ing for punctuation, and I've +1/+2'd before
for minor grammar or spelling issues in commit messages, with just a note
to fix it if they have to update the patch anyway. The main reason I really
dislike +0'ing anything with just a comment is that Gerritt's review
request list continues to show that I haven't reviewed it which I find
pretty annoying as I keep going back to it.

Chris