[openstack-dev] sqlalchemy-migrate needs a new release

David Ripton dripton at redhat.com
Mon Nov 11 20:35:52 UTC 2013

On 11/11/2013 11:37 AM, Roman Podoliaka wrote:

> As you may know, in our global requirements list [1] we are currently
> depending on SQLAlchemy 0.7.x versions (which is 'old stable' branch
> and will be deprecated soon). This is mostly due to the fact, that the
> latest release of sqlalchemy-migrate from PyPi doesn't support
> SQLAlchemy 0.8.x+.
>
> At the same time, distros have been providing patches for fixing this
> incompatibility for a long time now. Moreover, those patches have been
> merged to sqlalchemy-migrate master too.
>
> As we are now maintaining sqlalchemy-migrate, we could make a new
> release of it. This would allow us to bump the version of SQLAlchemy
> release we are depending on (as soon as we fix all the bugs we have)
> and let distros maintainers stop carrying their own patches.
>
> This has been discussed at the design summit [2], so we just basically
> need a volunteer from [3] Gerrit ACL group to make a new release.
>
> Is sqlalchemy-migrate stable enough to make a new release? I think,
> yes. The commits we've merged since we adopted this library, only fix
> a few issues with SQLAlchemy 0.8.x compatibility and enable running of
> tests (we are currently testing all new changes on py26/py27,
> SQLAlchemy 0.7.x/0.8.x, SQLite/MySQL/PostgreSQL).
>
> Who wants to help? :)
>
> Thanks,
> Roman
>
> [1] https://github.com/openstack/requirements/blob/master/global-requirements.txt
> [2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/icehouse-oslo-db-migrations
> [3] https://review.openstack.org/#/admin/groups/186,members

I'll volunteer to do this release.  I'll wait 24 hours from the
timestamp of this email for input first.  So, if anyone has opinions
about the timing of this release, please speak up.

(In particular, I'd like to do a release *before* Matt Riedermann's DB2
support patch https://review.openstack.org/#/c/55572/ lands, just in
case it breaks anything.  Of course we could do another release shortly
after it gets in, to make folks who use DB2 happy.)

David Ripton   Red Hat   dripton at redhat.com