[openstack-dev] Proposal to recognize indirect contributions to our code base

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Mon Nov 11 17:27:35 UTC 2013

On 11/11/2013 12:09 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:
> What about something with attribution in the docs for the feature? Can
> we play around with that a while? Attribution is going to have to be
> incorporated better into the docs for the CC By licensing anyway. Any
> thoughts on docs as placement for "This feature brought to you by
> <insert rewarded upstreamer here>" We need to play with the words more.
> Sponsored by brings up ickies for me, sounds like it turns others off
> too. Let's be careful with wording and placement both.

This sounds like it could get really messy.  Once a feature goes in, it
becomes a collaboration between many people over time.  It sounds like
it would get into the same situation as our copyright headers in source
files (wildly incomplete).

This also has a tendency to just recognize feature adds, and not common
work.  Lack of or minimal contributions to common work by some
organizations is already a pretty big problem in various parts of OpenStack.

--
Russell Bryant