[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder][oslo][scheduler] How to leverage oslo schduler/filters for nova and cinder

Boris Pavlovic bpavlovic at mirantis.com
Sun Nov 10 11:05:42 UTC 2013

Jay,

Hi Jay, yes we were working about putting all common stuff in
oslo-scheduler. (not only filters)

As a result of this work we understood, that this is wrong approach.
Because it makes result code very complex and unclear. And actually we
didn't find the way to put all common stuff inside oslo. Instead of trying
to make life too complex we found better approach.  Implement scheduler aaS
that can scale (current solution has some scale issues) & store all data
from nova, cinder & probably other places.

To implement such approach we should change a bit current architecture:
1) Scheduler should store all his data (not nova.db & cinder.db)
2) Scheduler should always have own snapshot of "wold" state, and sync it
with another schedulers using something that is quite fast (e.g. memcached)
3) Merge schedulers rpc methods from nova & cinder in one scheduler (it is
possbile if we store all data from cinder & nova in one sceduler).
4) Drop cinder, and nova tables that store host states (as we don't need
them)

We implemented already base start (mechanism that store snapshot of world
state & sync it between different schedulers):

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/45867/ (it is still bit in WIP)

Best regards,
Boris Pavlovic
---