[openstack-dev] [Solum] Some initial code copying for db/migration

devdatta kulkarni devdatta.kulkarni at rackspace.com
Fri Nov 8 18:24:12 UTC 2013

There are several different points being raised here,
all very interesting. Trying to separate them below.

1) Using objects as an abstraction for versioned data:
   This seems like a good direction overall, especially from the point-of-view
   of backwards compatibility of consumers of the object. However, after looking through some
   of the objects defined in nova/objects/, I am not sure if I understand how
   this works. Specifically, it is not clear to me how might the consumer of the
   object be able to query different versions of it at runtime.

2) Using objects as an abstraction to support different kinds of backends
   (SQL and non-SQL backends):
   - Again, a good direction overall. From implementation point-of-view though
   this may become tricky, in the sense that the object layer would need to be
   designed with just the right amount of logic so as to be able to work with either
   a SQL or a non-SQL backend. It will be good to see some examples of how this might
   be done if there are any existing examples somewhere.

3) From Solum's point-of-view, the concern around the potential downtime
   that may be incurred in the API-layer because of breaking object model changes,
   and so, investigating how to design this correctly right from the start.
   - This is a valid concern. We will have to design for this at sometime or other anyways.
   Doing this first up might be good with regards to understanding how the decision of
   using versioned objects would tie with the API layer implemented in Pecan+WSME.
   I don't have much experience with either, so would love to hear about it from those who do.

Best Regards,
Devdatta