[openstack-dev] nova-api fails to start

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Fri Nov 8 17:27:55 UTC 2013

There is a bug open for this problem:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/devstack/+bug/1248923

I left some comments on the bug, but most notable is that right now
devstack is just plain broken if you enable novnc, so the only
workaround would be to disable that entirely. A "disable-service
n-novnc" in localrc should do the trick until this is fixed (I also
submitted a fix that will enable installing novnc from git again, but
until that merges, NOVNC_FROM_PACKAGE=False doesn't work either).

-Ben

On 2013-11-08 05:42, Krishanu Dhar wrote:

> "screen -x stack" should give you the clue as to why it's failing. In my case it printed
>
> 2013-11-07 23:24:14.758 TRACE nova IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/etc/nova/api-paste.ini'
> 2013-11-07 23:24:14.758 TRACE nova
> n-api failed to start
>
> all i had to do was change the ownership of the files to the user executing stack.sh and restart the process.
>
> On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Telles Nobrega <tellesnobrega at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I thought it worked but it actually didn't. I'm trying again
>
> On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 10:19 PM, Telles Nobrega <tellesnobrega at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It was a new installation, but i tried a couple more times, removed all the component folders and it worked
>
> --
> _______________________________
> Telles Mota Vidal Nóbrega
>
> Undergraduated in Computer Science at Federal University of Campina Grande (UFCG)
>
> Developer at PulsarOpenStack Project - HP
>
> On 07 Nov 2013, at 17:54, Krishanu Dhar <rony.kris at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey Telies - Were you trying to recreate the failure? or is it a new installation?
>
> On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 2:13 AM, Telles Nobrega <tellesnobrega at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Now i have something like your problem, im getting
> die 609 'nova-api did not start'
>
> On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Krishanu Dhar <rony.kris at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> thanks man, incidentally i ran into your post too and it got me going. However, I was wondering if the fix should go in stack.sh.stack.sh [1]
>
> On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 12:32 AM, Cazzolato, Sergio J <sergio.j.cazzolato at intel.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, I had the same issue and fixed that doing a chwon and changing the ownership to my user of the files in /etc/nova where the owner was the user nova.
>
> In my case the files were: api-paste.ini and policy.json
>
> I posted the solution there too:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19843239/getting-nova628die-trying-to-start-openstack-nova-module [2]
>
> Thanks
>
> FROM: Krishanu Dhar [mailto:rony.kris at gmail.com]
> SENT: Thursday, November 07, 2013 3:40 PM
> TO: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
> SUBJECT: Re: [openstack-dev] nova-api fails to start
>
> Any other recommendations on how to have a successful devstack installation?
>
> On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 11:37 PM, Krishanu Dhar <rony.kris at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> below is an error that's probably the cause...
>
> 2013-11-07 23:24:14.758 TRACE nova IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/etc/nova/api-paste.ini'
> 2013-11-07 23:24:14.758 TRACE nova
> n-api failed to start
>
> krish at krish-VirtualBox:/opt/stack/nova$ ls -l /etc/nova/api-paste.ini
> -rw------- 1 nova nova 4260 Apr 23 2013 /etc/nova/api-paste.ini
>
> isn't it expected to fail if the file is owned by "nova"... weird.
>
> On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 11:18 PM, Krishanu Dhar <rony.kris at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> it did not even start the process in my case.

> [...]

Krishanu

Links:
------
[1] http://stack.sh.stack.sh/