[openstack-dev] Shall backward compatibility env. vars be removed from python-clients?

Leandro Costantino leandro.i.costantino at intel.com
Fri Nov 8 02:49:48 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Clients like python-novaclient/cinderclient/trove still support NOVA_*, CINDER_*, TROVE_* variables for
backward compatibility support,while clients like python-neutronclient/keystoneclient only supports OS_* env vars.

The following bug (#1061491, see review), mentions that it may be confusing if novaclient for instance,
silently accept those variables without even being mentioned on the current help/documentation neither warning the user at all.
(User has exported NOVA_USERNAME/CINDER_USERNAME/etc instead of OS_USERNAME etc.)

As Kevin suggested on the review, (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/55588/)
“we need to make sure that we have consensus that enough time has  passed to drop the old variables”.

I would like to hear opinions about this. Some options that i can think of are:

1) Remove NOVA_USERNAME, NOVA_PASSWORD and NOVA_PROJECT_ID support
   from novaclient. Same for other clients allowing vars other than OS_USERNAME,
   OS_PASSWORD, OS_TENANT_ID for this specific options.
2) Warn about deprecation if they are being used.
3) Ignore this topic, keep everything as today and just close the 'bug/suggestion'.
4) Other?

Best Regards
-Leandro

PS: shall this message belong to another ML, please, let me know.