[openstack-dev] [Solum] Choice of API infrastructure

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 00:02:24 UTC 2013

On 11/07/2013 06:41 PM, Adrian Otto wrote:
> Solum Team,
>
> First of all I wanted to say that I have been thinking a lot about this thread, and have been seeking input from a number of you who attended the Summit this week. I do *not* see this decision as a critical one, because if something really mattered a ton we could rip our one framework and put another in.
>
> What I love about this discussion is that we are having a healthy debate about different points of view, which was very thought provoking. I have heard input from skeptics who think that engineering decisions have to be made in a small group in order to be efficient. I know that thinking is wrong, and it's examples like these that convince me further that discussions like these help us make better choices, and make development more efficient over the long run.
>
> We should give the most weight to the preferences of the engineers who will write and maintain the code. If there are team members who are volunteering to write and maintain the bulk of our API code over a period of time who really want Falcon over Pecan, then we should give that fair consideration. The API is exceedingly important to Solum, and all of us will be working on it, so we need a choice that all of us can live with.
>
> I suggest that we settle on Pecan+WSME, for the following reasons:
>
> 1) It is a known quantity, and is likely to work well for Solum's needs, considering that Solum is primarily a control plane API system, and that performance is not a primary motivator.
>
> 2) Pecan+WSME allows us to offer data serializations in both JSON and XML to help satisfy the preferences of the API consumers.
>
> 3) It allows us to have multiple models that are loosely coupled, which can aid in data validation.
>
> 4) At this point in time, other OpenStack core/integrated/ecosystem projects are using Pecan+WSME, and several Solum contributors will be switching between projects. There is an advantage to a higher level of consistency among various projects.
>
> I accept that Webob may be problematic for us, that performance may be less than ideal, and that some Solum developers may dislike working with WSME, and that Falcon may actually be more pleasant to work with. We have team members with a deep understanding of Falcon, and could definitely make it work. We can proceed with Pecan+WSME accepting these (and  other) trade-offs.
>
> Are there any other critically important considerations that we should consider before converging on this choice? I'd like to hear that input prior to our next IRC meeting.

None that I can think of. I'll get behind the decision, then, and if all
are in consensus, I'll abandon the Falcon API patch.

We do need to get the Pecan/WSME patch to pass the gates though :) Doug,
I'm hoping you might give Noorul a hand with that next week upon your
return from Hong Kong?

All the best,
-jay